Rob's TIMSS Blog

My discoveries and ramblings of TIMSS/Personify.

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Personify: Debug Tracer

Any of you who have been using TIMSS for a long time will remember (and may still use) the router32.log file which captured all of the SQL statements that were executed by the TIMSS 4.x & 5.x applications. The purpose of this log was to capture what was happening when an error occurred. But the real value I found was learning what pieces of data were stored where by reviewing these SQL statements. It not only helped me understand what was going on, but also where data was stored when I needed to report on it.

So in Personify, one of the Debug tools is the Debug Tracer (under Tools, Debug, Debug Tracer). This opens a window that logs the commands and SQL statements that are executed by Personify. Very cool. Normally it's not running to improve performance, but you can turn it on to see whats happening on a particular screen.


Applies: to Personify

1 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a great tool for learning how Personify task bars work. For example, I created a new form and wanted to know how to open my new form with a particular order already selected.

I was able to go into Order Entry, turn on the trace debugger and then watch what commands were being executed when I opened up base forms that did the same thing. Great way to learn.

It's also cool to see what SQL statements are being executed at various points in the form processing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home