Rob's TIMSS Blog

My discoveries and ramblings of TIMSS/Personify.

Monday, March 26, 2007

Emailing Web Order Confirmations

You might remember a thread on the listserv a few months ago regarding emailing confirmations to customers for their orders. TIMSS6 has this as base function, however I didn't like the fact that is sends confirmation for all orders when I just wanted to send them for orders that came in through the web (customers expect this).

I found an article on how to send email from SQL Server using xp_smtp_sendmail. Following the steps in the article, I created a stored procedure in my database that emails confirmations for orders with a method of WEB. Then I used the SQL Server Agent to schedule a task to execute that procedure every couple minutes.

The xp_smtp_sendmail has a couple nice features, including changing who the email is from and allowing an HTML message.

I also added a table to the TIMSS database to store the messages that were sent.

Applies to: TIMSS5, TIMSS6, Personify

1 Comments:

At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rob,

Thanks for discovering this option. The "all orders" emails also annoys us at ACP. We're still on 5.2 using Oracle, but are in the midst of transitioning to Personify and will definitely use this feature. I'm passing this to Molly and Keith here.

Peace, Bob Murray

 

Post a Comment

<< Home