Rob's TIMSS Blog

My discoveries and ramblings of TIMSS/Personify.

Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Email Address Verification

Wouldn't it be great if you could check the validity of an email address that was entered into TIMSS? Well you can. I use a program called Advanced Email Verifer from G-Lock Software which contacts the address domain's SMTP server to validate the email address.

Daily (or close to it) I pull a list of newly entered or modified email address in TIMSS and import them into AEV and let it try and validate the addresses. The ones that it thinks are bad, I check for obvious errors (typos in name or domain) and try and re-vailidate them. If they are still comming as bad, I ask the person who entered them to verify them. It's not 100% accurate, but it does help a lot. If I'm pretty sure it's bad, I'll put the error message in the comments field in TIMSS and make the address in-active.

I have an older version of the software. The new one, which is $99, will apparently attach directly to a database.



Applies to: TIMSS5 & TIMSS6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home