Rob's TIMSS Blog

My discoveries and ramblings of TIMSS/Personify.

Monday, June 12, 2006

TIMSS 6: POS Sales Tax

Sales tax can be automatically charged by TIMSS. In general, sales tax will be charged if three things are true: 1) a tax is setup for the location of the sale; 2) the product has a tax defined; and 3) the customer is taxable.

Usually the location is where the product is shipped to, however if you are selling to the customer in-person (i.e. at your bookstore) you will charge the tax of the locality you are currently in.

TIMSS handles this by letting you setup a POS (point of sale) batch. On the top right of FAR001 you can make this batch a POS batch by checking the box and putting in the country, state, and warehouse.



To charge tax in this locality, you will need to setup a tax for it.


Checking the POS box (I've changed my caption to POS Only) at the bottom right of ORD199 tells TIMSS that this tax should only be used on POS batches. So in the figures above, my conference bookstore is in PA and I will charge 7% tax on POS sales there.

I changed the caption (using extender) to make it clearer. If I only want to charge this tax for POS batches then I check the box, but in the case where my bookstore is at my headquarters in DC, I'd need to charge POS tax on sales there, as well as orders shipped to DC (since my business has a presence in DC I need to collect DC sales tax). Thus I would NOT check the POS box for DC so that I can use it for both regular sales where products are shipped to DC and POS sales where they are bought at my bookstore in DC.

Applies to: TIMSS6

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home